The Red Assassination

The Red Assassination


"What is this, Ayush? Your shoes are again red, as usual! I have told you so many times, don't go that much far. Study there and come home. Is it necessary to play in that playground?"
"No, it surely isn't... But that playground is unique. The babbling sound of the conversations and cooing of doves and the echoes of sounds are just commendable. I feel so awesome after playing cricket there. Fours and sixes and wickets and runs and balls and hat-tricks and maidens and bowlers and batsmen....", replied Ayush rapidly and that too in a timid whisper.
"Wait...Wait...Enough... I am your mother. I know you will now try to justify yourself until I consider you to be right. Right?", his mother broke in.
"Not exactly. Leave this topic. Tomorrow is my class again near the fall."
"Tomorrow is Sunday!!"
"Mom, I am trying to crack IIT and that's something damn near impossible. I need to practice a lot."
"Fine, but you won't go and play on that playground. I won't clean your shoes again!"
Ayush, a brilliant boy both in sports and studies, is a villager in one of the most remote areas of the country. He is a short boy with rather undistinguished looks. His family is not financially strong but morally is. Well, he travels for about 2-3 kilometres daily to reach another village where Rajeev, a teacher, teaches him for his future. After travelling two to three kilometres from that point too, there's a playground which is Ayush's love. He literally loves that point at the extremity of his behaviour. There's a waterfall behind the ground and that enhances the quality of that place.
Ayush spent the whole day studying in the lamp. The village had a very poor electric connection and hardly, it came for more than 2 hours. It was his hard-work that did not let him undermine himself so much. Rajeev, Ayush's teacher, was one of the best sources for his incessant inspiration. He loved studying with his teacher. Rajeev, too, was no one but an experienced villager who had transferred his quality of perpetual hard-work to all his students equally.

Next morning, Ayush took a bath and started his journey to attend the class in the village nearby. He walked and walked and just walked around with no one accompanying in this expedition. No vegetation cover nearby and just dust and sand. It took him much time to reach his desired place. Maybe an hour or two.
Ayush went near the house and knocked on the door made with sand and silt. After two to three knocks, there was no reply. He knocked for some more time. No Reply. He thought that Rajeev might be near and would be coming home back. He waited for some time. Gradually, an hour passed. He felt weird sitting near his home and he was drowsy too.
Despite the drowsiness, he, then, decided to knock on the neighbouring door to ask whether Rajeev and his family had gone somewhere. He went to the neighbouring house. He knocked the nearby door. While knocking, he overheard a woman crying inside the house. He thought that it was better to go away from this place and try another one. Abruptly, a woman opened the door just at the moment Ayush was leaving. 
"Hey boy! Need Anything?", said the woman.
"No! I just wanted to ask... Wait a moment, is that Sir's wife?", said Ayush.
"Oh! You are Rajeev's student. Welcome. Come inside. Mrs. Sangeeta is inside."
"Is she the one who was crying?"
"Oh! You overheard."
The kind woman took the boy inside and made her sit near Rajeev's wife, Sangeeta. Ayush asked if anything was wrong. But Sangeeta just sobbed and fretted and wept.
"She is not in her states.", said the woman.
"What happened? Where's Sir?", asked Ayush very curiously. He surely didn't want to go personal but his curiosity made him do this.
"Actually, Rajeev's in police custody."
"For what deeds? He's such a kind man!", asked Ayush furiously.
"Murder"
"Don' say this again. I have full faith in him.", Sangeeta broke in.
"Murder? Really?", said Ayush timidly.
"Unfortunately, yes!"
"How'd-tt-t-that happen?", Ayush stuttered.
"Yesterday", the woman started, "maybe when you just left, Rajeev noticed a hand. A hand drenched with blood. He was frightened."
"What?"
"Yeah, that was a dead body behind his house. No one noticed it earlier. He called Sangeeta and both of them went to that glutinous and slimy body. There was a revolver behind. Rajeev took it in his hand and examined the body. He called the police. Police took the body with them and kept the revolver in a polythene bag. The body was covered and then submitted for postmortem."
"Now, I understand. He has done a good deed and is being awarded by the police. He informed in time and did not take the law in hand. What's better?"
"Good deed? Decide your words and then say. He has done a murder. A red murder. The revolver was considered to be his. What about Sangeeta? She's, after all, a cursed woman. It's our humanity that we're keeping such a woman in our home. Who knows if she murders us, too?", taunted the so-called 'kind woman'.
"Really? You don't give her your sympathy? You don't trust these people though they are your neighbours? Don't you have the leap of faith?", said Ayush.
"What kinda leap of faith?"
"Let your humanity be with you. I am giving you two days. I'll prove Rajeev Sir wrong. Keep Ma'am in your house for the next two days and then it would be only my responsibility."
"Two days? Oh My God. Keeping such a cursed woman at home for two days?... Still, I am ready. You know 'humanity' ?"

It was astounding that a woman who seemed so kind had the same thinking as every narrow-minded human. She behaved so well earlier but who knew what was the intention? 
Though Ayush seemed this to be impossible yet he wasted no time. He went to the nearest police station and that too, all alone.
He walked just in anguish and anger. He thought of nothing and just went on and on. No clues; No coordinates. He was not able to bear the humiliation that so-called 'kind woman' made him hear. He was hallucinating what the case might look like. There were infinite possibilities.
He finally reached the police station in some time. In the front jail, he saw Rajeev. Rajeev was a man with a look of a villager but much smarter than any of them. He was sitting in despair at the moment Ayush saw him.
 "Sir? How'd that happen? I am very sorry to see you like this.", said Ayush after coming near to Rajeev.

"It's okay. I have faith in Indian justice and I know that the real culprit will be punished. Rest is destiny.", said Rajeev with a sigh of satisfaction.
"Destiny is nothing in front of hard-work. Well, how'd you get in?"
"Well, the fingerprints on the revolver were against me and even the body was found behind my house. Actually, I took the revolver in hand."
"You knew that I knew what happened yesterday?"
"Yeah! I knew that if you'd come here, you would have at least some knowledge about the case. That does not matter. The revolver in my hand made me a criminal though I am not."
"Why don't you tell 'em?"
"I am not allowed to. I will be presented before the magistrate today itself and I really don't have any proofs to prove myself  innocent."
"Will they allow me to examine the case?"
"Don't think so...Well, try it out!"

Ayush had no idea what he was doing. He was doing the same thing the next second wanted.  He straightened his body, opened his eyes properly and with all fake arrogance (he could accumulate), he went to the Inspector and said, "Sir, has it been a while?"

"For what?", replied the Inspector angrily.
"For him? (Pointing to Rajeev)"
"Relative?"
"No. Student."
"Oh! He has been captured from the scene of the crime."
"I know. He is guilty. But how can you prove it without proofs?", Ayush acted in a way as if he was very smart.
"What do you mean, kid?", the Inspector was bored because of Ayush and he hardly paid the boy attention.
"Will you allow me to acquire proofs for him?"
"Our full team has not found one single clue that proves he's innocent. How would you?"
"Let me see. Well, you're suffering from obesity. That's usual. You had an accident recently. You are a part of Madhya Pradesh but has been posted here due to corruption. In this village.", said Ayush smartly while speaking the last words very slowly.
He really did not know if the inspector was involved in Corruption. He just guessed and hoped that the trick should work.
"How'd you know that?" 
It seemed that the trick worked. The Inspector was stumbled to a halt and was sweating from fear. He did not know how did the boy make it out but was really astounded.
"Your stomach is proof of obesity.", Ayush continued, "Your crutches and the wounds determine the accident. Your name belongs to Madhya Pradesh and your face clearly shows that you're corrupted. Will you still not allow such an astrologer like me to solve this case or do you want that I should file another case for you? And listen to me, It's your choice."
The Inspector was stunned. He thought for some time but he did not want another case for him to be filed under the name of corruption. He put on his cap, rectified his badge and said, "May I follow your lead?"
"Good! You're smart! Well, take me to the body."
"What? It's in the warehouse. Stored in an icebox."
"You didn't send for postmortem?"
"Maybe...M...."
"I know you don't have words. It's fine. You're more corrupted than what I thought of."
"Gonna be a secret?"
"Only If I win the case."
Ayush behaved smartly but he did not know how did he do this. From where this bravery came? Well, he went behind the Inspector to the body giving a look to Rajeev that satisfied him. 
The blood in the body was jammed because of no flow and the freezing icebox. But still, the point from where the bullet must have passed was seen. Ayush hadn't seen such a scene before. His pulse became very high as he started to examine the innocent and dead man. Nothing was there on the body that could satisfy him. On the other hand, Rajeev was to be presented before the court the next day though it should have been the present day. But due to some delays, the date was postponed which gave Ayush some more time. Ayush was glad because of the time given. In this point of distress too, he felt positive...This positivity helped him a lot and abruptly, he noticed a small red substance on his body. That was a part of Red Soil. His hair had very fine particles of this red soil and it seemed as if the man was dragged through the land.
"Red Soil? Buckle up! We are going some far!", said Ayush rapidly as if he had got a clue.
"What? You're giving me instructions. Who are you boy to tell me this?", asked the Inspector angrily.
"May I flush out the truths? Corruption!!", taunted Ayush while snubbing him furiously.
"Getting a vehicle for you, mate. You are more intelligent than I thought you to be."
Ayush had something in his mind and maybe he understood who was behind all this. Meanwhile, the Inspector brought the police vehicle and went behind Ayush's lead.
Ayush led them to the point he wanted. It was the same playground which was Ayush's love. This time he did not consider the babbling sound of the conversations and cooing of doves and the echoes of sounds commendable. Nearby was a vegetable vendor. Ayush ordered to interrogate. The vendor was afraid of police but did not run away. He let the police come near to him. 
"Anyone? You saw last night? Regular customer or any unknown person that felt to be suspected?", asked the inspector strictly and also he was increasing the depth of his voice.
"No Sir! I don't think so!", replied the vendor eerily.
"Anyone drunk?", Ayush broke in.
"Many people"
"Show him the photo!", Ayush ordered the inspector. The Inspector's reaction wasn't so good. No one had ordered him like this. Well, he was bound by his own tasks.
"See this! This man was murdered last night! He belonged to this area only.", Inspector to the Vendor.
"This one? Really?"
"You know him?"
"I do!!! He was drunk last night with his friend and they're my regular customers too!"
"Where did you see them last?"
"Why should I tell you? Commission!"
"You need some commission! Take one.", said the Inspector while brutally slapping him on his face.
"How can you be so rude? Someone was murdered and you need some commission?", said Ayush.
"Okay! I saw them last night on the ground.", said the vendor and this time more eerily.
"What time?"
"About eleven"
"Did they have any vehicle?", asked Ayush.
"Maybe a motorbike"
"That's enough. Did you know his friend?"
"Lives nearby in that building. Flat Number 108."
"You know much?"
"Regular customer."
"Thank You, Man"

The vendor really helped them a lot. The Inspector and Ayush went to that building. This time the Inspector was not doing this for his own good as he always did. This time, he also wanted to know who was behind all of this. Both of them waited for nothing and just entered the house. The door was open and the television was switched on. A short-faced man was lying on the bed and was much busy in the serial going on.
At the moment, he saw police, his face became blue and tried to run as far as he could. This made Ayush clear that this was the man behind all of this. But how far would he go? He had just a room to run. He went to his almirah and opened it. While the Inspector and Ayush had surrounded him from both sides.
They took that man to the police station with handcuffs. They needed his statement to prove Rajeev innocent. 
He was put into jail. His face was dipped into the water. Then he was brutally lashed with whips and sticks. The other cops were doing this task. The Inspector and Ayush just took a glance at him. 
"That's enough", said Ayush, "(To The Inspector) Bring the camera. He'll confess."

The Inspector brought his phone and handed it to a cop. The cop started recording. They entered the jail. Ayush, with a feeling of vengeance, started, "Your game is over. I know you're the murderer."
"I will file a case against you all. You have arrested me without any warrant or any proof. I was tortured. You all are gonna be suspended. First, how can you consider me a murderer? On what basis.", said the man with all confidence he could gain.
"Hmmm. You are intelligent. Sorry, man. You didn't take a bath today or even last night."
"How does that matter here?"
"(To the cop) Bring the camera here. Zoom in on his elbow. (To Everyone) You see. Your elbow is all red. It's red soil. This same was found on the body of the victim."
"Still, I don't understand! He might have gone somewhere where red soil was found."
"That is only the talk man. This is not the state of red soil. Only the playground in front of your home has been made in such a way where people can enjoy the beauty of the red soil. Over time, people forgot about the soil but it always remained there. I also did. But I thank my mother because she always scolded me about my 'red shoes'. Now my question is, "Where did you find the red soil or where he did? He was murdered in the park and of course, you both are friends too. Don't act that like you don't know him.", said Ramesh smartly and ending this with a sweet chuckle.
"You got a good mind kid. I still don't accept my crime. The murder is done by Rajeev. Still, you don't have my statement... (To the cop) Take that rubbish camera off me."
"I never took the name Rajeev in front of you. You are being trapped by your own words."
Meanwhile, the Inspector paused the recording. He dipped the whip in water and came near the man and said, "Accepting your crime or not? (To the cop) Unpause the video at the moment I lash him."
With full force, he lashed the man in such a way that he was not able to bear the pain and he unwillingly said, "I did it.". This was recorded. 
"Now tell why did you do this? You have been recorded.", said Ayush.
"Okay! I accept. I have no way out. Please bring Rajeev here."
On his demand, Rajeev was brought and was still tied with handcuffs. He was glad that Ayush had solved the case. But still, his curiosity wanted to know, why was he brought under this murder.
"He's here"
"I did the murder because of your wife."
"Don't roll the topic or say any lie now.", said Ayush.
"I am not. I have lost all my hopes to save myself. I accept that I did the murder because of Sangeeta and I hope you haven't taken her name in front of me... I am answering all of your questions. Please don't interrupt... This all started two years ago when I met Sangeeta for the first time. She was very sad those days. She never liked Rajeev because of the social work he did. In her opinion, social work should be done when you are influential to do it.  Rajeev was not influential, still, he taught children for free. Ayush, I hope, is an example. I helped her in her times of distress."
"Why did you assassinate, then?"
"One day, she told that she wanted to live alone and without anyone. Without Rajeev. Therefore, we made a plan that we would murder my friend and then accuse Rajeev of that. the plan was going in the same way but you came in my way."
"You should've murdered Rajeev if he was your foe?"
"He was never our foe. We only wanted him to get out of our way. We should have murdered Rajeev but Sangeeta was not in favour. She only wanted to live alone. She did not want to kill him."
On this line, Sangeeta entered the room crying and weeping and said, "I am very sorry. My fault."
"I didn't believe that you'll accept your crime so early."
"I knew Ayush was gonna catch him. Therefore, I came. Because if I don't accept my crime, I won't be able to live with Rajeev ever even though I would be living with him. This relationship is over. I became greedy but I realised it too late."
"Ma'am do you know that what you've done is very unpredictable. Can you ever think that Sir would be ever able to trust anyone in this world? You betrayed him.", said Ayush emotionally.
"Leave it, Ayush. She does not deserve this. It was better when I was alone.", Rajeev broke in after he had many tears that did not roll down.
"I can understand, Sir."
"For me, she's nothing now. Classes are gonna start from tomorrow. I won't stop my life because of these people."
After this sentence, Rajeev fainted. Sangeeta and the other man were arrested and the recording was saved.
They both were presented before the court, the next day. Because they surrendered, there was no need for trials and they were given fourteen years of jail. It was astonishing for the judge too. He promised some amount of compensation for the man who died. He awarded Ayush and the Inspector because they saved an innocent man.
When Rajeev and Ayush reached the village, they were welcomed. Rajeev was gaining much sympathy. Ayush just wanted to do one thing. He went to the so-called kind woman and said, "I did what I promised. But you were right, Sangeeta was a cursed woman but not because of Rajeev. She was because of her mindset, greeds and needs. She never understood the way of life. Actions need to be changed but not followed. Change what you cannot make. That's what helped me. Just take care of Sir and Good-Bye." 
Ayush went showing his back to her and not looking back.
On his way back home, this time he was accompanied by the applauses and blessings that the villagers gave him. 
"I'll always be thankful for my life. It gave me a chance to solve a Red Assassination. Thank You, God."



Indian-American Techie Walks into Police Station with Body in Car ...

Comments

  1. Great story
    Suspense was till the end..I couldn't even think that Sangeeta was behind this..
    It was indeed praiseworthy..👍👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bhai puri story padh li

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome Abhinav!! This was really a great story and kept us Mesmerized Tillnthe end of

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice story lot of suspense

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment